What We Believe
Currently refugees, asylum seekers, and new immigrants (documented or not) have few simple, accessible, affordable, and engaging options in their native tongue that help them navigate the transportation, medical, commercial, social, cultural and economic systems which are themselves not simple or accessible. The #RefugeesWelcome is a multi-platform tool that provides refugees, asylum seekers, and new immigrants with a visually engaging multi-lingual guide book, social media campaign, and smart phone application (coming soon.)
The #RefugeesWelcome guidebook will provide resources and information for newly arrived immigrants like refugees and asylum seekers. It will cover 9 key areas:
1. Navigate Your Town: Geography – Maps of the Greater Los Angeles Area highlighting key landmarks
2. Basic Services: housing, food, social security, medical, employment services
3. Helpline (stigma oriented): domestic violence victim shelters, food pantries, 911, free/discounted medical clinics, mental health, crisis service, substance abuse, legal assistance, family justice center, rent payment assistance
4. Transportation: a guide to public transportation and access to transport vehicles
5. List of places of worship: churches and mosques
6. Discover Your City: Free entertainment – parks, museums, libraries, etc.
7. Cost effective shopping including coupons to restaurants and shops
8. Civic Participation: an explanation of each government agency’s role and how to contact government officials.
9. Cultural Awareness: language, customs, norms and values.